Saturday, May 31, 2014

A new gardening season

Well we are finally all planted for the season after a frigid spring. At the beginning of the spring the guy who owns the house to the north of us had a giant mulberry tree taken down. This tree provided lots of wonderful shade for our backyard and I was sad to see it go. It had some rot though so it had to come down, still sad. The one bright side of it is that our veggie beds now are full sun all day long, which I think will make for a dramatic difference in our crop yield.

Steve and I switched beds this year and he planted mostly hot peppers and I did my usual herbs, leafy greens for salads and basil. I did add some tiny kale seedlings that a neighbor gave me and they have totally taken off since I planted them in the bed last weekend. Still unsure what I will plant when the salad greens bolt. We also planted about 10 heirloom tomato plants on the south side of the house, as we always do. Looking forward to a lot of salsa soon.

We let Harriet pick out her own flowers at the farmers market for a pot. She was very excited to plant them as well as a little spruce tree from her Uncle Dave. Note the wonky sunglasses.  

My mom came over and picked a bunch of rhubarb for baked goods and Harriet assisted by bagging and counting the stalks. 

No comments: