Thursday, October 24, 2013

So many peppers!

As Christina pointed out, my pepper plants in the raised garden had a great season. We picked jalapenos, serranos, and sweet bell peppers whenever we needed them for fresh salsa or salads. As the end of summer approached, we realized we had too many and started to offer them to anyone we saw. I also tried some new ways of using them. The first was making jalapeno poppers on the grill.

Pretty straightforward recipe. Cut the tops off a dozen peppers, core and seed them. Then combine a 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar and an 8oz tub of cream cheese in a bag, then squeeze the cheese mix into the peppers.

I grilled them so the egg carton bottom was used to keep them upright while they cooked. The carton didn't burn. The grill was pre-heated on high with some water soaked cedar on one side. On the side of the grill where I had the poppers, I turned it down to low and let them smoke/cook for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

They were pretty darn spicy and in the future I plan to wrap them in bacon. 

Another venture to use up the bounty of pepers was pickling. I've made pickles before so it wasn't too difficult. Making sure you have the correct canning supplies is huge. I ran out to get new tops and lids for our jars to be sure we got a good seal.
Harriet was very excited to harvest the remaining peppers for the pickling!

So excited she still had her pajamas on.

I chopped the jalapenos into rings, while I cut the serranos and some sweet peppers lengthwise. We also prepped some garlic from our CSA.

For some extra color we added red peppercorns.

The finished product!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love pickled jalapenos! I also bought a large bag of mild banana peppers at the farmers' market this summer to pickle for the kids. We put them on everything.

You have to try this: combine some pickled jalapenos, sour cream, and just a little of the pickling liquid. Dip tortilla chips. HEAVENLY.

laehmc said...

you can send them my way anytime! yummmy!