Sunday, February 12, 2012

Adding a bit of color

In the last few weeks we have painted 3 rooms (pictures to come) and finished up a bunch of projects that we have been intending to do for a while. This was one of them and I'm not really sure what to call them.. shelf slides? Sliders, I will just call them that. They are tongue and groove and can also got on the ends or the middle of the shelf. When I painted this buffet a few years ago, I never got around to doing the sliders.

It only took me four years, but last weekend I painted them the same color as the rest of the buffet. But it seemed kind of boring so I got an idea to do fabric covers and insert them over the wainscoting recessed part. I cut up a sun chips box from costco (they are coated cardboard and are nice and sturdy) and then covered them with the same fabric as one of the pillows, which was originally from Harriet's 6 month picture. I made them to fit in the openings of the sliders perfectly so I didn't have to glue them in and could switch them out with different fabric when I want a change.

Before, a bit of a cluttered eyesore.

An after: decluttered and colorful. Also I painted our little ikea drawer thing with some sample paints we had left over from the room painting. Considering how much time we spend in the family room looking at this thing, it's a welcome change.

So this weekend we painted the family room a light gray and now the creme color of this thing looks odd. Now I want to repaint the whole thing white (insert sad trombone). Maybe in the spring...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Super cute! Such a cheery little hutch now. Great job!