Friday, December 23, 2011

Holiday card demystified

Well here it is, our holiday card. Merry Christmakkah. I'm sure you have all received them in the mail by now, dear readers. A few people have asked me how I did it, so it seemed like a good blog post. I feel a bit like the wizard of oz behind the curtain here, but let's give it a whirl. First I should say that this is my first attempt at illustration and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Originally we were going to have our friend Carla do it because she has done a bunch of cool ones. The more Steve and I talked about it, we thought it would be fun to do it ourselves. I had seen some cool cards online so I kind of took the style from there.

Step 1 was to take a picture. We took a bunch with a tripod and a wireless shutter release in our basement.

I printed out the picture and then traced it with a pencil on a light table. Then I scanned it in and then 'drew' it again in Photoshop using the pencil drawing as a guide.

Here's a screen capture in Photoshop. I won't go into any specifics about what I did in photoshop since probably no one cares and it would take too long to explain.

Here's a rough draft. Seemed like it needed more and Harriet's leggings were distracting, Steve needs some eyebrows and my necklace looks like something Betty Rubble would wear.

So I found some side views of our breeds of chickens on google and 'drew' those also. I doubled up on the chickens eating and only made one and then reversed it and changed the color and the comb a bit. Persephone and the barred rock took me longer than doing the three of us.

Here are my two attempts at the barred rock. I liked the one on the right a lot better.

Well there you have it. It probably took me about 10-15 hours, despite knowing photoshop pretty well. Illustrating was a bit of a learning curve, but I could probably do it twice as fast next time.

4 comments:

color me carla said...

I love it!

Becca said...

Brilliant, as always! Love the illustrations of you three - and those chickens! Perfect. Merry Christmakkah!

laehmc said...

LOVE THIS BLOG! thanks for sharing

Ian said...

I really like Steve's grouchy eyebrows in the first pencil sketch.