Wednesday, November 16, 2011


Garden wrap up

Picture above is from our neighbor to the north's side of the fence. She has this beautiful trees with interesting circular leaves. They looked better than ever this year, perhaps due to the removal of the giant hackberry tree last fall.

Well a fairly good growing year again this year. We still have a bunch of tomatoes that are ripening, although most end up all pruney and unappealing looking so we have been feeding them to the chickens. Our gazillion tomato plants really came through, despite other gardeners having a bad year. We planted way too many grape and cherry tomato plants, but it worked out ok. Lots of salads.

We had good luck with the carrots. I forgot to take pictures, but they were all different colors and pretty. I chopped them up and put them in the oven with a little dried thyme and olive oil and they were quite good. Harriet loved them.

The basil plants worked out well as they have in the past. This year though Steve read the recipe and it said that I needed to freeze the basil and olive oil and then when we are ready to eat the pesto that's when I mixed up the nuts and cheese. I always wondered why it had a strange consistency. That'll teach me to read the directions... well actually probably not.

Despite the rabbits nibbling off branches from the honey crisp tree over the winter because of the high snow, there were tons of apples from the tree's second year. I love that tree.

Peas-- total fail. Numerous variables, so no idea what went wrong. Won't do those again.

We got a lot of hops, although I think I picked them too late. I gave them to one of my coworkers so I guess we will wait to hear if anything happened with them.

No comments: