Sunday, March 27, 2011

Firkin Fest

I joined my friends Matt, Stacy, and Ian at St. Paul's Happy Gnome for their Firkin Fest yesterday. We paid $35 for unlimited samples of beer from over 80 firkens. A firken is 1/4 barrel of beer.

There was a line around the block to gain access when general admission opened at 1. VIP folks came an hour early. I thought paying an extra $10 for a VIP ticket was dumb. But I noticed several beers were out before 2PM and the crowd swelled big time after we got into the tent. So perhaps it was a good call.

Here is a good review I just read of the event. I decided to tweet my entire time there. Here is a list of the 21 beers I tried via my twitter feed:
1st beer @ Firkin Fest: Surly abrasive
Lift Bridge di's nuts
Flat Earth grand design > smells like smores!
Odell red ale
Big Sky lyndale brown > stingey pour
Furthermore fatty boombalatty!
Avery joe's premium pilsner getting crowed in here
By far the slowest moving line here... food line! > Brisket sandwich and onion rings.
Crispin desert noir
Victory headwaters pa
SUMMIT gold sovereign ale
New Belgium super cru
Fulton sweet child of vine > oh, oh oh. Sweet child of vine.
Great Divide bitter and twisted
Tallgrass buffalo sex sweet chocolate and cherries > Guy had to tip the firkin to serve me.
Left Hand good juju > they already ran out of the milk stout. Tear.
Lagunitas the hairy eyeball > just as I imagined it would taste.
Pee break. TMI > Portable trough!
Dark Horse oatmeal IPA
Boulder planet porter
Two Brothers northwind imperial stout
Brau Brothers sumatran moojoos oatmeal milk stout.
Rogue amber ale
FIRKIN FEST. fin.

2 comments:

laehmc said...

wow...that's lot's of marinade tasting! ha ha..signed your non-beer drinking mom

Grace said...

Would you recommend going? We thought about it, but for me it's kind of like a buffet.... you have to try everything so you don't enjoy it as much.