Kristen and I took a month-long upholstery class back in January at Blue Sky Galleries in NE mpls. I decided to redo the two living room chairs that used to be my mom's. The chairs had been redone about 15+ years ago and then about 8 years ago Kristen and I made slipcovers for the chairs. The chairs have had many looks over the years and now they have another.
The instructor recommended that I get rid of the pillows and just use the frame and add padding. I was open to any ideas of how to make it look more modern and sleek, but also more comfortable. I think I made a mistake on the fabric I chose though. The color is a little too boring and also the fabric has a strange shininess what doesn't look good if any water gets on it. Alas.... no going back now, I really can't overstate how much work this all was.
I stripped down the chairs to their bare frame and started from scratch. No easy task because of all the foam and staples. Also discovered that some questionable materials were used like the burlap on the left above and then below you can see that tire rubber was used for the webbing.
Old webbing on the left, new webbing on the right.
The owner of the gallery is a woodworker and he suggested that I get rid of the cloth arm rests and replace them with wooden ones. So I had him make me these and I really like how they look (I just got these on friday so that's why this post took so long to put on here).
1 day ago