Friday, December 24, 2010

Daughters of Norway

Although I am a little busy lately, I have decided to join the Pauline Fjelde #51 lodge of the Daughters of Norway. The sisterhood, as I like to jokingly refer to it, was formed recently, although Minnesota did have one that disbanded in the 1950s, I believe. In order to be a member you have to know the name of one of your relatives who came over from Norway or be married to someone of Norwegian descent. We meet every third Saturday from 10-12 a.m. at Hope Lutheran church in dinkytown (if anyone is interested). I found out about it because Kelsey helped get it going and was recruiting people to join. Ages of the members range, but most are quite a bit older than us.

I am 50% Norwegian so I thought it would be a fun way to learn more about my family's heritage, get out of the house and see my friends at least once each month, plus meet new people. I particularly enjoy the craft activities, as you may of guessed.

Kelsey, me, Glenda and Kristen making woven Christmas hearts.

Although these hearts originated in Denmark, the Norwegians have taken a liking to them and have adopted them as their own. Here is a little before/after above. I made them out of felt and it was quite a bit easier than paper.

Here is someone demonstrating how to make krumkake, a waffle-like Christmas treat.

1 comment:

laehmc said...

facinating! love this!