Saturday, June 12, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am always skeptical of products that claim to be ecofriendly or 'natural' (which is basically meaningless at this point), so i have taken it into my own hands. I haven't quite gone to this extreme yet, but I am headed that way. I decided since the baby will be here soon I would like to have a laundry detergent that I know has less chemicals in it. Plus the eco-friendly ones we have been buying are expensive and this wasn't hard to make. I saw this article online and it inspired a hunt all around the city for one of the ingredients (only to then find out that they were about 5 blocks away at Rainbow).

Homemade Laundry Powder
(Makes approximately 5 cups)
2 cups (finely) grated castile soap (2 cups is the whole bar)
1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
1 cup soda ash (washing soda)

I use a heaping tablespoon and it, so far, has worked really well.

If you have a hard time finding washing soda (like I did) you can call this hotline: 1-800-524-1328 and have the UPC code 33200-03020 and give them your zip code and they will tell you stores near you that have sold it in the past 90 days.

Also I have been making my own all purpose cleaner that I learned from a neighborhood fair.
(use a funnel for the first 3 ingredients)
1 teaspoon borax
1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
2 tablespoons white vinegar into your spray bottle
fill bottle with warm water and shake it up
drop or two of essential oil

Here are some more cleaning recipes, if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

gradientgirl said...

Oh, that deodorant recipe looks really great! I have nearly all that stuff on hand. I've read other recipes where you just end up with an unscented powder (basically, just mixed baking soda and cornstarch together).

I'll try it and let you know how it goes. I might try this laundry detergent too -- you're right about how insanely expensive the all-natural co-op stuff is.

Oona said...

Charlie's Detergent is a great alternative to making your own as well.