Saturday, January 30, 2010

Longing for summer....


It's around this time of year when I wish garden season was here already. So to help pull myself through I decided to bring a small piece of the garden indoors. I've been wanting to make a few terrariums for a while. We had a bunch of jars left over from our wedding and they worked perfectly.

It's pretty easy... supplies needed: jars, some pebbles for the bottom (for drainage), charcoal (to cleanse and help with decaying matter), cactus soil and a bunch of humidity loving shade houseplants. I put down about an inch of the rocks (maybe overkill, 1/2 in. would probably work) 1/4 in. charcoal on top of that and then about 3-4 inches of soil. Jars require very little maintenance. Keep them out of direct sunlight, water with 1/2 cup water every month (more or less depending on size of jar). I overestimated the number of plants that would fit in the jars so i had to bring in few extra ones that don't have tops.

2 comments:

Becca said...

So beautiful, those sweet little herb gardens. Don't you just open them up and stick your face in there for a breath of fresh air every day? Mmmm.

I couldn't help but notice your library card catalogs in the background. What do you use them for? We have one too, but I have yet to think of a really useful way to keep them around (aside from nuts, bolts & nails in the garage).

laehmc said...

i am going to do this when i can gather the right kind of jars...just so very beautiful!! does bring summer feeling!